"The program gave me a close-up view of political, business and social issues and trends, information that is invaluable to me as an entrepreneur and active participant in the success of our great state. The speakers were incredible� they inspired us and stretched our minds. The opportunity to connect with successful and dynamic California women leaders was a main highlight. Being part of Leadership California is like being part of a powerful sisterhood."
—Ursula C. Mentjes, M.S., ACC
President and Certified Business Coach
Potential Quest, Inc.
"I have enjoyed my involvement with Leadership California. Our trip to the state capitol was most enlightening. As a result I have gotten involved with the Los Angeles African American Women's Political Action Committee. Thank you, Leadership California, for sparking a genuine interest in the political process."
Director Corporate Diversity
"The CIT program brings together successful women from all over California, and gives them the opportunity to build a network with other successful women. It's a way to learn about the important issues in our state, and to get ready to take the next step in your professional life."
—Isela Vilchis Hoenigmann
"Leadership California has provided me a panoramic view of issues, challenges and opportunities for this lovely state that I live in. The program was my introduction to women of unbelievable talent, experience and passion who are set to make a difference. The feeling to want to be more, to accomplish more, is simply contagious. I hope to know these women for the rest of my life."
Manager, IBM Software Executive Briefing Program
Silicon Valley & Worldwide Briefing Program
"As a young immigrant woman working in the nonprofit sector, it was inspiring to see women leaders in action, to be able to network with them, and talk about the issues that are relevant to our communities and our state. I feel honored and privileged for the opportunity to participate in such an awesome program that weaves women leaders from different sectors and geographies of California to engage in a conversation about the social, political, and economic fabric of California."
—Winnie Hui-Min Yu
Asian Law Caucus
"I've spent half of my work life in the corporate world, and the past ten years in the nonprofit world, but neither taught me how to be who I am at work�the whole pastiche of talent and spirit. I found role models who excited me, the true state of our state of California (which frustrated me), work partners continually learning like me, and friends."
—Peta G. Penson, Ed. D.
Oakland Unified School District
"Leadership California sessions feature influential speakers and lively discussion on timely issues shaping the economy and workforce. The session on work-life balance struck a chord with me, where key leaders advised us to map out a personal career plan. Networking with other women was invaluable. Leadership California is an engaging and downright fun experience."
Kaiser Permanente Community Benefit Dept.
Healthy Eating, Active Living Project Manager
"Simply put, Leadership California is time well spent that will benefit me personally and professionally for years to come. I've not only kept in contact with my fellow classmates on a social level, but have had opportunities to work with some of them on business projects as our professional paths crossed. The sessions gave in-depth looks at the critical social issues that many Californians face, inspiring me to get more involved in my community�s outreach programs."
Manager of Corporate Public Affairs
Key Milestones in Leadership California History
• Leadership California celebrates the 25-year anniversary of the California Issues & Trends program
• Leadership California brings 40 women to Washington D.C. in LC to DC program
• LC to DC becomes a biennial program with next session planned for 2017
• Honored all six women presidents of the California State University System as Trailblazers at Annual Legacy of Leadership celebration
• Launched a new program for alumnae & friends: Central Valley Women's Forum
• Launched new Public Relations Campaign
• Established presence on Twitter @LeadershipCalif #successtosignificance
• Launched a new program for alumnae & friends: Leadership California Goes to Washington D.C.
• Leadership California becomes the go-to organization for visiting International Women's Delegations to the State of California through the U.S. State Department
• Full independent program assessment of California Issues & Trends Program is conducted and reveals two key findings:
VOLUNTEERISM: 94% of program alumnae volunteer in their communities (64% higher than the national volunteerism rate for women, at 30%)
DIVERSITY: The diversity level of Leadership California alumnae matches the diversity level of the United States
• Celebrated the 20th Anniversary Year of the California Issues & Trends Program
• As part of the California Women's State Appointments Project, submitted the names of over one thousand talented women to Governor-elect Jerry Brown as potential appointees to state staff positions and state boards and commissions
• Initiated Trailblazer Awards at the annual Legacy of Leadership celebration
• Launched first Leadership California video
• Established Facebook and LinkedIn groups
• Included Central Valley segment at Session I
• Launched regional councils of CIT alumnae
• Launched new website and web-based data system
• Launched monthly e-newsletter
• Initiated Corporate Leader Award at Annual Legacy of Leadership celebration
• Initiated board education on diversity competency and developed diversity and inclusion strategies
• Initiated alumnae programs
• Inaugurated the California Women’s Leadership Forum for alumnae and friends
• Recommended 144 women for appointment to state staff positions and state boards and commissions, resulting in 34 appointments by Governor Gray Davis
• Researched and published a report on elected women and women appointments in the State of California
• Established Annual Legacy of Leadership Awards celebration honoring women leaders from business, community, and academia
• Launched the California Issues and Trends Program (CIT) with 34 women leaders
• Foundation for Leadership California is granted nonprofit corporation status with the California Secretary of State, Franchise Tax Board and Internal Revenue Service